Rice and Beans
1 cup uncooked brown or white rice
1 tbsp. oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium tomatoes, or more if using cherry tomatoes, finely diced
1 medium zucchini (about 1/2 lb.) coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 - 16 oz. can kidney or garbanzo beans, drained
salt and pepper if desired
1 cup shredded cheese such as cheddar
1. Cook rice according to directions and keep warm.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet, add the onion and garlic and cook until soft.
3. Add the tomatoes, zucchini and oregano. Cover the skillet and simmer the mixture for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
4. Add the beans and simmer, stirring occasionally, until it is heated through. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
5. To serve, spoon the vegetable-bean mixture over the hot rice and sprinkle with cheese.